Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Out of the Darkness by Quinn Loftis


Heads up! This review will be rather long, since it contains so much gushing ;) 

First off, I wanna say: Quinn Loftis, I bow before your awesomeness and writing prowess. I'd seriously be honored to have half as much talent as you do & I'm gonna stop myself right there because if I keep going, I'll never stop rambling about her greatness. Point is: she's awesome, great & any other similar flattering adjective you may think of. 
This was the fourth installment in the series and I am so far beyond in love with this book, it's not even funny. Every single aspect about it is perfect! 
The plot is unpredictable, entertaining, and kept me on the edge of wherever I was (I was reading that thing everywhere). 
I don't wanna give any spoilers about the book specifically, but I will say we deal with some new supernaturals & things get a heck of a lot more interesting. 
I am also in love with every single one of the characters (even the bad ones 'cause they're so good at being bad). I find myself wishing I was a member of the Romanian pack, just so I'd have the chance to make them all my best friends. 
I love ALL the couples. Seriously. From Fane & Jacque, Vasile & Alina, Decebel & Jen, to the new ones ;) 
The chemistry all the characters share is so perfectly balanced, it's uncanny! The way Jen, Jacque and Sally have assimilated with the pack, and the way the three of them interact; as a unit, the way they're so in sync. & the way Loftis writes about the couples; it's like they're a team, but the girls are fiercely independent and their mates love & hate that at the same time. 
If I was forced to pick a favorite aspect of the book, it would have to be the dialogue. It had me laughing so much, tears came out & anyone who heard me must think I'm a psychopath. *My favorite lines are at the bottom* 
The humor diffused the seriousness of the plot, but it also conveyed the characters' loves, fears, worries, determination and power. 
There was a lot of Decebel & Jen going on, since the plot really focused on them, but it'd be great if we caught more glimpses of the other couples in the next book (there is a next book right? I might die if there isn't! I AM NOT SATISFIED WITH THAT ENGIND; IT IMPLIED THERE WILL BE MORE! THERE MUST BE MORE!)
The next book (positive thinking) will probably focus on a new couple but more Fane and Jacque and Vasile and Alina would be greatly appreciated. 
Also, have I mentioned the banter from Jacque, Jen and Sally is great? I would honestly recommend the book to ANYONE because their banter would make 'em laugh. I betcha even the guards at the Buckingham Palace would crack a few smiles at it (hmm... if I ever visit the Buckingham Palace, I know what I'm doing!)

I don't know how Loftis did it, but she has created a perfect series. Often, a series drops as more books get published, but Loftis manages to make every book perfect in its own way. 

This book (& the series) get:  * x ∞!!!! 
Now here're those lines: 
-"Ah, man," Jacque whined. "She gets to meet the Fae and I have to go to a dungeon to talk to some old, reclusive werewolf scribe who's probably as worn as dusty as the records we'll have to sift through"

-"Yeah, well, just because you're Alpha doesn't mean you're exempt from nicknames. Although, I could call you A, but it would be too tempting to add the word hole behind it." 

-"No, you dimwit. Cursed as in it's 'Leviosa' not 'Leviosa'. Not curse as in dumbass."

-"Well, you are mated to Jen." Sally chuckled. "Her middle name changes from day to day. Her staples are 'nympho', 'impetuous', 'too smart for her own good', 'smart-ass', and all too often, 'asinine'. You've got your work cut out for you."

-"Lay it on me."
"I was trying to. Geez, woman, make up your mind," Fane told her, eyes glowing. She threw one hand up to hold him off.
"I meant your idea, fur ball, not your delectable body."

-Jacque decided that regardless of her name, she was going to call her Surely, because she could surely kick anyone's ass. 

-"Attention shoppers, just a brief announcement, crazy ass werewolf on aisle three. Those with an abundance of testosterone, don't touch the merchandise and you might walk out of here intact." 

-The group spent the day resting and avoiding the elephant in the room. The males didn't want the females to go, the females wanted to stick hot pokers in the males' eyes. Yeah, it wasn't tense at all. 

-Jacque chuckled. "She grows on you."
Peri snorted "What, like a fungus?"

-"I would be a cow if I could do that and conjure cupcakes up anytime I wanted to in mass quantities like that"
Adam looked at her with his head cocked to the side "Do cows like cupcakes?"
Jacque rolled her eyes and let out a loud breath, waving him off. "Never mind, Legolas. I forget that my sarcasm and witty banter is wasted on your pointy ears."

& last but not least -since it's my personal fave: 
-"Okay, maybe we don't have time to go over all of them now, but I feel obligated in this dire situation, when we don't know if we will live or die, to share with you the words my mate spoke to tell me it was time to go. Drum roll, please."
   Decebel was snarling at his mate, who looked completely undaunted. Elle and Adam had tow throwing knives each and were bouncing them off the cave walls in a drum roll. 
   Jen imitated Decebel's deep voice as she spoke. "Jennifer, wake up. You must ride me." 

No comments:

Post a Comment